The ultimate humiliation! Jesus has been ridiculed beyond measure! He is blind-folded – ‘tell us who struck you, O great prophet, tell us who is tugging at your royal beard?’ ‘He’s a king, so he must have a crown’. A crown of thorns! He is paraded through the streets like a common criminal and he says not a word, he is led like a lamb to the slaughter and now this!
We may ask why so much humiliation, and your answer will be, ‘why so much pride?’ Pride was the crime of the archangel Lucifer; he wanted to be God’s equal, and in the moment he committed this sin he became a hideous demon and was thrown to hell. Pride was the crime of Adam and Eve, ‘if you eat this fruit you will be as great as God himself’.
And they and all mankind lost paradise.
Pride is the source and origin of all the sins that are committed. It is simply an inordinate, excessive love of oneself that makes a person think he is better than anyone else; they are dependant on no one, not even God!
O Lord, you suffered humiliation to such degree in order to pay for the sins of pride. May this station remind me of this whenever I find myself committing such a terrible sin, then grant me the grace of true humility.
Dying you destroyed our death
Rising you restored our life
Lord Jesus come in glory
- THE FIRST STATION: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- THE SECOND STATION: JESUS RECEIVES HIS CROSS
- THE THIRD STATION: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- THE FOURTH STATION: JESUS MEETS HIS BLESSED MOTHER
- THE FIFTH STATION: SIMON HELPS JESUS TO CARRY HIS CROSS
- THE SIXTH STATION: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- THE SEVENTH STATION: JESUS FALLS THE SECOND TIME
- THE EIGHTH STATION: JESUS MEETS THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- THE NINTH STATION: JESUS FALLS A THIRD TIME
- THE TENTH STATION: JESUS IS STRIPPED OF HIS GARMENTS
- THE ELEVENTH STATION: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- THE TWELFTH STATION: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- THE THIRTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN HIS MOTHER’S ARMS
- THE FOURTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB