The shrouded dead body of Jesus is carried to the tomb of Joseph accompanied by Mary, his mother and John, the disciple Jesus loved. The holy women of Jerusalem followed. It seemed as if the sorrows of the whole world came together in that procession. The body of Jesus was finally laid in the tomb and the great rock was rolled in front.
How many of them thought, why? Why did God permit this? They just could not understand how a loving God could allow such a thing to happen! With these sorrowful thoughts in their minds they went slowly back home. They would never have understood why Jesus had not risen from the dead and told them that the Christ should suffer and die in order to pay for the sins of mankind. So from one man‘s suffering, death and resurrection came the salvation of the whole of mankind.
O Lord, there have been many times when I have asked why. Many times when I have thought, ‘if God loves us, why has he allowed this to happen? And even, ‘if there is a God he would not have let this happen!’
O God, grant me the grace by the merits of this station to know that you do exist and that you do love me, and to know that all that happens is for a reason, a reason which is good, a reason which I will understand in good time, meanwhile grant me the grace to say what you said in your agony, ‘not my will but thy will be done‘.
For I know you have returned to your father in heaven where you have gone to prepare a place for me and my loved ones, so that where you are, we also may be.
Dying you destroyed our death
Rising you restored our life
Lord Jesus come in glory
- THE FIRST STATION: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- THE SECOND STATION: JESUS RECEIVES HIS CROSS
- THE THIRD STATION: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- THE FOURTH STATION: JESUS MEETS HIS BLESSED MOTHER
- THE FIFTH STATION: SIMON HELPS JESUS TO CARRY HIS CROSS
- THE SIXTH STATION: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- THE SEVENTH STATION: JESUS FALLS THE SECOND TIME
- THE EIGHTH STATION: JESUS MEETS THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- THE NINTH STATION: JESUS FALLS A THIRD TIME
- THE TENTH STATION: JESUS IS STRIPPED OF HIS GARMENTS
- THE ELEVENTH STATION: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- THE TWELFTH STATION: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- THE THIRTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN HIS MOTHER’S ARMS
- THE FOURTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB