Jesus is finally crucified; he hangs between heaven and earth the mediator between God and man. As he hangs there he finds he cannot breathe because, hanging from his arms, his lungs are crushed together, he pushes down on his feet to raise himself up so as to release his lungs but this just ties his muscles up in cramp which he can endure for a few minutes only, then down again to hang by his arms, to gasp for breath. This agony goes on for three hours! Yet in spite of such pain, he still thinks of others – to the repentant thief, ‘this day you will be with me in paradise’.
He sees his mother, his mother who is so bravely standing there to comfort him, and he sees John. Tears streaming down his face, Jesus comforts them both ‘mother, behold your son, son behold your mother’. He even prays for his executioners – ‘God forgive them for they know not what they do’.
O Jesus grant me the grace to be considerate and kind when I am suffering in any way or just feeling wretched and miserable, help me always to think of other people rather than myself.
Dying you destroyed our death
Rising you restored our life
Lord Jesus come in glory
NOW COMES THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE. HE HAS TO TAKE ALL OUR SINS ON HIMSELF AND DOING SO HE HAS TO FEEL THE HORROR OF HELL, NAMELY SEPARATION FROM GOD AND HE SCREAMS OUT: ‘MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?’
HE IS AT HIS LOWEST EBB – ‘I THIRST’ – I THIRST FOR LOVE OF MY FATHER, I THIRST FOR YOUR LOVE! I OFFER ALL TO YOU MY FATHER THAT THEIR SINS MAY BE FORGIVEN.
AT LAST THE VICTORY IS WON, ‘CONSUMMATUM EST’, IT IS FINISHED, I’VE DONE IT! THEIR SINS ARE PAID FOR, NOW ‘FATHER INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRIT!’
(pause for silent prayer)
O Jesus you lived, suffered and died for love of me, grant me the grace to live, to suffer and to die for love of you!
- THE FIRST STATION: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- THE SECOND STATION: JESUS RECEIVES HIS CROSS
- THE THIRD STATION: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- THE FOURTH STATION: JESUS MEETS HIS BLESSED MOTHER
- THE FIFTH STATION: SIMON HELPS JESUS TO CARRY HIS CROSS
- THE SIXTH STATION: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- THE SEVENTH STATION: JESUS FALLS THE SECOND TIME
- THE EIGHTH STATION: JESUS MEETS THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- THE NINTH STATION: JESUS FALLS A THIRD TIME
- THE TENTH STATION: JESUS IS STRIPPED OF HIS GARMENTS
- THE ELEVENTH STATION: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- THE TWELFTH STATION: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- THE THIRTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN HIS MOTHER’S ARMS
- THE FOURTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB