What was Jesus thinking about at this moment? What was he feeling? Was it pity? Pity for Pilate, who knew Jesus was innocent and wanted to free him, but was frightened of losing his position – ‘if you free this man you are no friend of Caesar’s, for he has made himself a king.’
So he backed down and tried to put the blame on his accusers; but he was the judge! But his job came before justice!
Was it pity for his accusers, who were willing to get a person condemned to death for the sake of greed and gain? Or was it pity for the high priests, who were willing to get a person crucified out of jealousy, jealousy of a man better than them; out of pride, for they wanted to be honoured and revered, but this man was exposing them for what they really were, ‘whited sepulchres’; out of fear, fear of losing their comfortable way of life!
It is easy to condemn such people, but am I as guilty as them? I am, if I have ever put position before justice, gain for the sake of greed; if ever I have been envious or proud or been afraid of being found out for what I really am? O Lord help me to learn from this station to conquer my pride, my greed and my jealousy, and try to live as you would have me live.
Dying you destroyed our death
Rising you restored our life
Lord Jesus come in glory
- THE FIRST STATION: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- THE SECOND STATION: JESUS RECEIVES HIS CROSS
- THE THIRD STATION: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- THE FOURTH STATION: JESUS MEETS HIS BLESSED MOTHER
- THE FIFTH STATION: SIMON HELPS JESUS TO CARRY HIS CROSS
- THE SIXTH STATION: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- THE SEVENTH STATION: JESUS FALLS THE SECOND TIME
- THE EIGHTH STATION: JESUS MEETS THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- THE NINTH STATION: JESUS FALLS A THIRD TIME
- THE TENTH STATION: JESUS IS STRIPPED OF HIS GARMENTS
- THE ELEVENTH STATION: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- THE TWELFTH STATION: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- THE THIRTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN HIS MOTHER’S ARMS
- THE FOURTEENTH STATION: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB