In Lent we are asked to prepare for Easter by prayer and sacrifice. Here are a few suggestions:
- Bishop John suggests we give God some silent attention each day
- Buy (£1) the ‘Walk With Me’ booklet which will help you pray and reflect each day of Lent.
- Join the Stations of the cross in Clitheroe at 7.30pm on Fridays and in Sabden at 7.30pm on Tuesdays.
- Spend a little time each day reading the Bible in the quiet of your home.
- Attend daily mass. (Details weekly in the newsletter)
- Come to Exposition on Saturday mornings between 11am and 12noon.
- Pay a visit to the church which is open daily during daylight hours.
- Encourage someone who has been away from Mass to return to practice and accompany them to church.
- Recite the Rosary at home or join the weekday recitation in church at 9.30am.
- Visit someone in need of help or friendship or perhaps an elderly relative you haven’t visited for a while?
- Make up a longstanding quarrel.
- Help to clean the church on Monday mornings at 9.30.
- Give up a favourite treat like sweets, drink, watching too much TV or cigarettes.
- Keep ‘Family Fast day’ on Friday.
- Every Friday give up eating meat.
- Make a clean sweep. Go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession), available Saturdays in Clitheroe from 11 to 11.45 and during the Stations of the Cross on Fridays.
- Attend the series of ecumenical Lenten talks on Saturday mornings in the Hall at 11am. (Coffee from 10.30)
- Join a Lent discussion group based on Pope Francis’ recent letter ‘The Joy of the Gospel’, Wednesdays at 7.30pm in the Hall on 4th, 18th and 25th March.
- Attend a Lenten Station Mass at 7.30pm at St Mary’s Langho 25 Feb, St Joseph’s Blackburn 4th March, St Joseph’s Darwen 11 March, St Gerard’s, Lostock Hall 18 March.
Wishing you a fruitful Lent,