Lent begins this Wednesday and Pope Francis has asked: ‘Don’t let this season of grace pass in vain.’ So, what have you decided to do during Lent this year?
Here are a few suggestions:
- Buy (£1) the ‘Walk with me’ booklet which will help you pray and reflect for a few minutes on each day of Lent.
- Join the Stations for the Cross in Clitheroe at 7.30pm on Fridays and in Sabden at 7.30pm on Tuesdays
- Spend a little time each day reading the Bible in the quiet of your home
- Attend weekday morning Mass (details weekly in the newsletter)
- Come to Exposition on Saturday mornings between 11am and 11.45
- Pay a visit to the church which is open during daylight hours.
- Encourage someone who has been away from mass to return to practice and if possible accompany them to church.
- Recite the Rosary at home or join the weekday recitation in church at 9.30am.
- Is there someone you know in need of help or friendship or maybe an elderly relative you haven’t visited for a while?
- Make up a longstanding quarrel
- For one hour, help to clean the church on Monday mornings at 9.30
- Give up a favourite treat like sweets, drink, watching too much TV or cigarettes.
- Keep ‘Family Fast day’ on Friday
- Every Friday give up eating meat for your spiritual good and that of the planet!
- Make a clean sweep. How long is it since you made use of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession)? Confession is available every Saturday in Clitheroe from 11—11.45 and during the Stations of the cross on Fridays
- Attend the series of Lenten talks on Saturday mornings at 11am (Coffee from 10.30)
- Reflect on Bishop John’s pastoral letter. What might you do to help safeguard the environment, to save planet Earth?
Wishing you a fruitful Lent,